Definition of Conuropsis carolinensis
1. Noun. Extinct parakeet whose range extended far into the United States.
Generic synonyms: Parakeet, Paraquet, Paroquet, Parrakeet, Parroket, Parroquet
Group relationships: Conuropsis, Genus Conuropsis
Conuropsis Carolinensis Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Conuropsis Carolinensis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Conuropsis Carolinensis
Literary usage of Conuropsis carolinensis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum by Richard Bowdler Sharpe, British Museum (Natural History). Dept. of Zoology (1891)
"Range. The same as that of the only species. 1. Conuropsis carolinensis. Caroline Parrot, Catesby, Nat. Hist, of Carol, pi. 11 (1731); Lath. ..."
2. The Auk: Quarterly Journal of Ornithology by American Ornithologists' Union, Nuttall Ornithological Club (1917)
"... since the gender of the subspecific name should conform to that of the genus. Conuropsis carolinensis interior Bangs becomes Conuropsis caro ..."
3. Our Vanishing Wild Life: Its Extermination and Preservation by William Temple Hornaday (1913)
"THE CAROLINA PARRAKEET,—Conuropsis carolinensis, (Linn.), brings us down to the present moment. To this charming little green-and- yellow bird, ..."
4. Stuffing Birds, Pressing Plants, Shaping Knowledge: natural history in North ...by Sue Ann Prince by Sue Ann Prince (2003)
"Carolina Parakeet (Conuropsis carolinensis) ("Carolina Parrot"). Date of collection unknown. MCZ Belted Kingfisher (Ceryle alcyon). nd Graphite, ..."
5. Annual Report of the New York Zoological Society by New York Zoological Society (1912)
"Zoologically, the most important acquisition of the year was a pair of Carolina parrakeets (Conuropsis carolinensis), which came as ..."
6. Timehri: The Journal of the Royal Agricultural and Commercial Society of by Royal Agricultural and Commercial Society of British Guiana (1895)
"One species only, the Carolina parrot, Conuropsis carolinensis, occurs in the United States where it once ranged as far north as 42°, ..."