Definition of Calophyllum
1. Noun. Genus of tropical evergreen trees.
Generic synonyms: Dilleniid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Clusiaceae, Family Clusiaceae, Family Guttiferae, Guttiferae, St John's Wort Family
Member holonyms: Poon, Calaba, Calophyllum Calaba, Santa Maria Tree, Calophyllum Longifolium, Maria, Calophyllum Candidissimum, Lancewood Tree, Laurelwood, Alexandrian Laurel, Calophyllum Inophyllum
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Calophyllum Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Calophyllum
Literary usage of Calophyllum
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Timber Trees, Timber and Fancy Woods, as Also, the Forests, of India and by Edward Balfour (1870)
"The similarity of native names between this aud Calophyllum inophyllum, ... the Poon spars being a tall, aud Calophyllum inophyllum a short stunted, tree. ..."
2. Observations of a Naturalist in the Pacific Between 1896 and 1899 by Henry Brougham Guppy (1906)
"Calophyllum. — Colubrina. — Tacca. — Vigna.— Premna. IN discussing the relation between the littoral and inland floras in the Pacific it will be at first ..."
3. The Magazine of Horticulture, Botany, and All Useful Discoveries and by C M Hovey (1855)
"... R. lucidum, and R. calophyllum, have a very peculiar aspect, all agreeing in their smooth ... calophyllum ..."
4. The Vegetable Materia Medica of Western India by William Dymock (1885)
"Calophyllum inophyllum, Linn., Wight III. i., 128; Ic. I. 77. ... I have met with no mention of Calophyllum inophyllum in native works on Materia Medica. ..."